2019_Career_WF_Color_Stacked.png

CareerHub

Internal Mobility

Problem

Today, when employees want to take advantage of the Wayfair Jungle Gym, they have to haphazardly network within the organization or rely on the internal roles email. This is not an acceptable approach because it's inefficient, a bad experience for the employee, and furthermore, it is not scalable for when Wayfair scales from company of 20k employees to a company of 50k employees.

CH_Logo.png

Hypothesis

We envision a world where employees can easily search our open roles, get the inside scoop on hiring manager, level, recruiter, and other key info that we don't share externally, and feel like Wayfair cares about them more through a consultative lens than a transactional one.

Project Duration

1 month

My Role

I was the sole and Lead Designer on a Scrum team of 1 Content Strategist, 4 Engineers, and 1 Product Manager. I was responsible for everything from helping set the strategy and visioning, all the way to the research, design, prototyping, and testing.

Tools

  • Miro

  • Sketch

  • InVision

  • Abstract

  • Homebase Design System

  • Google Suite (Meet, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Gmail)

Phase 1: Commit

Meet with stakeholders and Design/Product/Engineering to determine the aperture of the scope

Inklings of this project had been discussed in sporadic meetings here and there, for a year or two, before it ever became prioritized. Finally what we had been pushing for (our vision of a Talent Marketplace) had started taking root. We wanted a central place for the Wayfair employee to have a suite of talent tools all in one place. We were at the stages where the Product Managers were discussing with the business stakeholders about their needs and then converting it into a Product Brief. The Product Managers, the Engineers, and the Design team then proceeded to have a series of meetings to iron out and revise any details of the Product Brief – this included identifying the problem statement and determining the MVP scope from a Design perspective.

 

My Content Strategist and myself set a timeline for the discovery, concept exploration, design development, and evaluation phases. Further down the design process, we added a list of all the features and considerations to this resource. This included absolutely necessary things we wanted this platform to do and also the pain points that were a non-negotiable that needed to be addressed.

Phase 2: Plan

Frame the opportunity and decide if we are solving the right problem

In order to define the scope and avoid things like featuritis or scope creep, we made sure to establish expectations and draw alignment among the stakeholders. We did this by holding a Pre-Mortem. Despite its macabre undercurrent, this is one of the most effective triad (Product Management–Engineering–Design) ceremonies made famous by Atlassian. Unlike a Post-Mortem, a Pre-Mortem aims to get ahead of obstacles by identifying threats prior to launch. We get all the business stakeholders, the engineers, designers, and PMs in one room and increase transparency from the jump. In this particular project, it became evident that it was imperative we do this because a there were a handful of people meeting for the very first time. Because of the novelty of the team, we decided to establish a biweekly cadence meeting for all of the people to reconvene until launch.

Using Miro, we put some time on the clock and had people fill in as many Post-it Notes as they wanted for 3 different categories:

Tiger

A threat that will hurt us if we don't do something about it

Paper Tiger

An ostensible threat that you are not worried about (but others might be)

Elephant

The thing that you're concerned no one is talking about

We later sorted each of the Post-its into six distinct categories to which an individual or a group was responsible for hedging off the threats by launch: Process, Adoption & Buy-In, Scope, Integrations / Tech Issues, Expectations / Success Metrics, and User Experience. My team and I were obviously responsible for that last category but the Process was up to our Project Manager who was working with Talent Acquisition team to stand up the recruiting process in the back. We knew that we could build the best product in the world but if we didn't have recruiters actioning on internal candidates, it wouldn't matter. Responsibilities for this also included change management and communication. The Greenhouse integrations and making sure we use our Storefront Homebase Design System component library (built on React.js and PHP) were all sorted by our Engineering team.

View the full PDF of the Pre-Mortem exercise here.

Because of the aggressive time deadline we had to settle on guerrilla Discovery Interviews. The reason this tradeoff decision was made was because there was some existing interviews that had already been done a year earlier (and subsequently de-prioritized) and we wanted to but we did set aside time to do a Vision Exercise with stakeholders, which we felt was more critical at this juncture. This exercise was one where we nominated the top 5 pain points of internal mobility, brainstormed solutions (products/features/integrations), and created a vision (what the overall solution will look like 3 years from now).

Phase 3: Explore

Understand user behavior and needs by identifying pain points

Talent Whiteboarding.jpg

Affinity Mapping exercise

Affinity Mapping results

Talent Stickies.jpg

Phase 4: Focus

Explore different approaches and converge onto a solution that aligns the user need with the business goal

Talent Whiteboarding 2.jpg

Phase 5: Support

Observe how users interact with the solution to evaluate success, and ideate further if needed

CareerHub Screenshot.png

Phase 6: Evaluate

Support the evolution of the product through data-driven iterations

**Ongoing work subject to Non-Disclosure Agreement**

 

(Able to show in person)